Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to know about airport disclosure?

Check these links to determine if a property is in the vicinity of either a military airport or public airport.

How can I find out more about Beneficiary Deeds?

On April 11, 2001, the Governor of Arizona signed into law Arizona Revised Statutes Section 33-405, which created a new type of Arizona real property deed known as the Arizona Beneficiary Deed. By signing and recording an Arizona Beneficiary Deed, an owner of an interest in real property located in Arizona may cause the owner's interest in the real property to be conveyed to people or entities on the owner's death. The interest in real property conveyed by a Beneficiary Deed does not take effect until the death of the owner, at which time that interest transfers automatically by law to the designated grantee(s) named in the Beneficiary Deed.

Click here to learn more about the benefits and drawbacks of a Beneficiary Deed.

How many homes should I inspect when looking for a property?

I recommend to look at enough properties to gain a comprehensive understanding of the marketplace.

This will provide you with the required knowledge to work out if the property you are interested in represents value for money. This will also help you to determine which location appeals to you the most.

It is important to feel confident about your eventual purchase, so viewing properties online is a good way to research the market efficiently.

What is the "cooling off period" in a contract?

A cooling off period is usually where one party — usually the buyer — is given a short amount of time after signing and exchanging the contracts to decide if they definitely want to proceed.

The seller is generally bound to the contract and prohibited to sell the property to anyone else during the cooling off period.

What are some of the Environmental Hazards that can affect my home?

The following websites provide general information about some of the environmental hazards that have the potential to affect the home environment. They provide introductory information to help home buyers understand the possible risk of exposure to potentially harmful environmental hazards in and around the home.

How can I find if I have Expansive Soil in my area?

Expansive soil deposits can cause damage to homes built on them. Subdivision developers are required to disclose the existence of expansive soils and any remedies taken in their Disclosure Report (Public Report) on file with the Department.

For a maps indicating where expansive soil deposits are in the Phoenix area, please click here.

Where can I find more information concerning Flood Insurance?

Is the home or vacant land you are considering buying within a Special Flood Hazard Area? Do you need flood insurance? It is very important to have answers to these questions not only when purchasing a home in a subdivision, but when constructing a custom home or purchasing undeveloped (raw) land.

Your regular home owner's policy does not cover flood losses. Flood insurance is a separate policy. It is available to every resident in most if not all Arizona communities. Renters are eligible to purchase "contents only" flood insurance. Owners can purchase both building and contents coverage.

If you are purchasing a previously owned home, check with the owner and the appropriate city or county agency to determine whether the property has ever been flooded, or whether the property is within a 100-year floodplain. You will find more information through the following link:

Are there any active or proposed Freeways Projects in the area?

Is a freeway planned in the area near the home you want to buy? The Arizona Department of Transportation Intermodal Transport Division website provides schedules, maps and other information of new freeway construction in the state.

Are there any Geologic Hazards in the area?

This publication (DTE-13-A Home Buyer's Guide to Geologic Hazards in Arizona, by R.C. Harris and P.A. Pearthree, 2002, 36 p.) from the State of Arizona Geological Survey can assist those who are considering buying a house or raw land. The publication describes the most widespread and common geologic hazards such as floods, earthquakes, mass movement (landslides), subsidence and fissures, radon and other factors to consider before buying or building. The 36-page color publication contains photos, illustrations and maps depicting the hazards as well as information describing the hazards, how to minimize them and where more information may be obtained. The publication may be purchased from the Arizona Geological Survey website. You may also order the publication by calling the Arizona Geological Survey in Tucson at 520-770-3500.

Where can I find more information concerning Homeowners' Associations (HOAs)?

HOAs are corporations in Arizona. Corporation documents, such as the Covenents, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs) can generally be found on-line at the Maricopa County Recorder's website.

Other information about the corporation can be found at the Arizona Corporation Commission website.

However, if you have legal questions concerning your relationship with an HOA, then I suggest that you seek legal counsel with HOA issues. Visit to find an attorney in Arizona.

Although Arizona is a dry climate, can mold be a problem?

You read and hear many stories about the presence of mold in homes and schools. These websites provide good information about mold, the problems it may cause, and how it may be removed.

What are some good resources for Mortgages information?

The following websites will help you, the prospective buyer, make informed decisions on which kind of mortgage is best for you:

What is a Seller's Property Disclosure Statement (SPDS) and Seller Advisory?

You will likely hear me refer to a "spuds." I'm not talking about potatoes. That is what local Realtors call the SPDS. Sellers are obligated by Arizona common law to disclose all known material facts about a property to the buyer. This SPDS is designed to assist you in making this disclosure. For a sample of the SPDS, visit the Arizona Association of REALTORS® website:

K. Michelle Lind, General Counsel for the Arizona Association of Realtors®, has written two important articles about seller disclosure. They are: "Residential Seller's Property Disclosure Statement" and "Every buyer is entitled to a SPDS".

The fact that a property is in a homeowners association (HOA) must also be disclosed.

What should I know about Termites in Arizona?

The Office of Pest Management (OPM) website contains information about what you should know about Wood Infestation Reports. They also have a homebuyers guide to termite treatments.

Since August 2009, ANYONE can go on the OPM website to retrieve a complete termite (or other wood destroying organisms) treatment history for the past ten years and\or TARF report(s) on any structure in the state of Arizona (residential\commercial).

Where can I find more information concerning Title Insurance?

For a list of title insurance resources, visit the Arizona Department of Insurance website at

How can I find out if the property I am considering purchasing has an adequate Water Supply?

Prospective homebuyers should investigate water availability before purchasing real property.  The Arizona Department of Water Resources is your first step to investigate water availability and to learn more about groundwater supplies.